Ghaziabad: Owners of Charred Green Avenue Flats Seek FIR Against RWA After Condo Fire

Residents of Gaur Green Avenue in Ghaziabad seek FIR against RWA after April 29 fire. Inquiry report confirms unauthorised constructions blocked emergency access and fire safety systems failed.
Ghaziabad: Owners of Charred Green Avenue Flats Seek FIR Against RWA After Condo Fire

Ghaziabad, May 15: Owners of charred Green Avenue flats are seeking an FIR against the RWA after a major fire. Residents allege that unauthorized constructions blocked emergency access and fire safety systems failed, with an inquiry report supporting these claims.

Resident's Complaint

Rajnish Kumar, an architect whose 11th-floor flat was destroyed in the blaze, has written to the chief minister's office, district magistrate and police commissioner seeking an FIR against RWA office-bearers. He alleged that illegal construction around the society's swimming pool area blocked access for fire tenders, allowing the blaze to spread to the upper floors. "Had there been proper fire safety arrangements and unobstructed access for fire tenders, the fire could have been contained at an early stage," the letter said.

Failed Safety Systems

Kumar further alleged that the society's fire alarms were non-functional, there was no water pressure in the firefighting pipelines, and emergency equipment failed during the incident. He purchased the flat last year for Rs 2.5 crore and estimates his losses at over Rs 2 crore. He demanded a judicial and fire safety inquiry, removal of encroachments blocking emergency routes, investigation into alleged misuse of RWA funds, and compensation for affected families.

District Administration Report

A district administration inquiry report, submitted to the DM on May 11, flagged unauthorised constructions, a blocked fire driveway, and poor fire safety maintenance as factors that hampered rescue and firefighting operations. The report, however, found no evidence of conspiracy or deliberate arson and said the exact cause of the fire could not be established with certainty.

Other Affected Residents and RWA Response

Anurag Sharma, whose flat was also completely gutted, said he was waiting for an official copy of the report before initiating legal proceedings, estimating his loss at over Rs 3 crore. RWA president Kunjesh Parihar said the association had not received any formal complaint from residents, adding that the swimming pool wall was part of the builder's handover and approved by a general body meeting. He claimed the RWA has started removing some obstructions to prevent a repeat incident.